My toddler daughter and I were recently invited to an authentic Sri Lankan dinner party. We had a blast and the food and company were so delightful! I’ve teamed up with my friend Yasara who hosted us to bring you a delicious and super nutritious Sri Lankan dish. Not to mention this Sri Lankan beet curry looks like little ruby jewels of goodness. Thanks Yasara for a beautiful day of food and fun!
Also, Sri Lankans eat with their hands to blend the food and flavors which is just about a dream come true to me. It really brings a new experience to food adding the tactile experience with your hands. I think it makes fo a deeper level of appreciation for flavor and nourishment.
- 2-3 red beets with tops, peeled and sliced beets into slim chunks - chop leaves
- ½ onion, sliced thin
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons coconut milk powder
- ½+ teaspoon turmeric
- ½+ teaspoon un-roasted curry powder
- 3-4 fresh curry leaves
- coconut oil to sauté
- Heat coconut oil on medium heat in a skillet.
- Add the onions and garlic and sauté until lightly browned.
- Add beets and stir.
- Stir in coconut milk powder, turmeric and curry powder.
- Add curry leaves then salt and pepper to taste. Stir thoroughly.
- Lower heat, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning ti your preference.
- Once the beets become a bit soft, add the beet leaves and cook them down a bit.
- Turn off the heat and let sit for 5 minutes or so before giving them a final stir and serving! ENJOY!!!