Good grief it is soooo wickedly hot all I want is cold food that doesn’t require my oven to be turned on. What is the deal with this heat? 111 degrees today and it’s a struggle to do anything except be underwater in the pool!
For years I’ve been after Molly for this recipe! It goes without saying here that any barbecue or get together at my house goes with an unspoken request for this salad. The flavors are so perfectly balanced, the textures so crisp and fresh, that I’m still surprised by the simplicity of the recipe. It really is a quick, non-lettuce salad to bring anywhere as a respectable contribution to any meal. Now I have the recipe immortalized here and can never lose it again. Whew!
Here’s a bunch of pretty food and beautiful Molly images to get you in the recipe mood. Thanks Molly!!
- 4 Ears of Corn
- ½ red onion
- 1 container of cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 large or 2 small avocados
- 1 ball of fresh mozzarella
- Olive oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ Lemon
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- To grill the corn, heat grill on low and place the corn directly on the grill with the husks on. Turn occasionally. After about ten minutes, remove husks and char 1-2 minutes each side. Let cool.
- *** If you do not grill the corn, slice it off the cob first and sauté in EVOO until cooked through. Let stand to cool. If you sauté the corn, no need to add more olive oil when dressing the whole salad.
- While the corn is cooling, dice the red onion, halve or quarter the tomatoes depending on size. Chop the avocado and mozzarella into bite size pieces. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- Once the corn has cooled to the touch break each ear in half to slice off the kernels. Toss the corn with the other ingredients and lightly drizzle EVOO and Balsamic vinegar.