This one is a total death by chocolate, but at least it’s a rich, decadent death;) The cake itself is such a pure, unadulterated chocolate indulgence that is only made richer by the lusciousness of bittersweet ganache and the earthiness of raw pistachios. Bright green pistachio hues play nicely against the glistening dark chocolate for a breathtaking presentation. This was my wonderful friend Jenny’s unofficial birthday cake and I think she left pretty pleased. A small slice will satisfy even the most ravenous of cravings! It’s a good day to be a food photographer;)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour OR Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2¼ cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 10 ounces grated bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup heavy cream
- raw pistachios (available at health food and persian markets)
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease or spray a bundt pan. In medium bowl, pour boiling water over cocoa, and whisk until smooth. Let cool. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Preheat oven to 350. In medium bowl, pour boiling water over cocoa, and whisk until smooth. Let cool. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Grease or spray a bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at time. Stir in vanilla. Add the flour mixture and the cocoa mixture. Pour into bundt pan.
- Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool.
- Place grated chocolate in a bowl, heat milk until it almost boils, pour over chocolate and whisk smooth. Pour over cake, top generously with raw pistachios.
food photographer, food photography, los angeles, crystal cartier